Only days after General Motors said it wouldn’t build the compact Chevrolet Orlando minivan, the automaker has confirmed it will build a compact Buick crossover styled like its large crossover SUV, the Enclave.
GM will take another step toward attracting younger buyers with a small crossover vehicle to be built at a Michigan factory, a person briefed on the plan said.
GM is moving equipment into the Orion factory (Orion Township, Mich., north of Detroit) to build a new version of the Aveo that will get about 40 mpg on the highway and appear in showrooms sometime next year. It will compete with the Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris subcompacts.
Spokeswoman Dayna Hart on Tuesday confirmed that GM is planning a small crossover vehicle that will look like a baby version of the Buick Enclave. Crossovers generally have the passenger room and storage capacity of a sport utility vehicle but are more efficient and handle better because they are built on car frames.
An Associated Press report suggests GM’s Orion Township plant (which is tooling up to build the 2012 Aveo) will build the compact Buick crossover they has revealed their intention to build a sub-Equinox-sized crossover, in addition to the already revealed Excelle new small car that will share the Chevrolet Cruze platform.and compet with Honda CR-V and may be rebage or co develope with Chevrolet’s version
The Cruze, built in Lordstown, Ohio, is scheduled to be in U.S. showrooms in September. It’s about the size of a Ford Focus or Honda Civic and is larger than an Aveo.
- Spy shots and Concept : Next-gen Chevrolet Aveo (codename T300) hatchback USA launch delayed until January 2011
- More information on Renault small crossover ( based on Captur) and new Compact Crossover
- 2012 Opel B segment SUV/Crossover Spyshots and information
- Mitsubishi May Supply Small Cars,compact crossover to PSA
- 2013 Jeep B segment SUV (Sub compact crossover) information
- 2011 Mazda CX-5 compact SUV/Crossover Spyshots and details
- 2013 Opel compact SUV (Antara replacement) render and information
- 2011-2012 Chevrolet Aveo (Codename T300) sketch
- Honda to build new factory in China in 2012,report sale data in 2009
- 2013 Chevrolet B segment SUV spyshots and speculation